Fiendishly Fun Friday - Island of the Dolls

Teri, don't read any further, you won't like it :P
Today's FFF post is about La Isla de la Munecas, or the Island of the Dolls. It sounds like it should be full of pretty pink lace and plastic tea sets, doesn't it? Well, it's actually a macabre tourist attraction to the south of Mexico City, festooned with thousands of decomposing and mutilated dolls on display. The area is filled with canals and waterways, and in amongst these is a small uninhabited island. Don Julian Santana moved to this island in the 1950's, hoping to find peace and refuge from the modern world. However, he came to believe that the island was haunted by the ghost of a young girl who had drowned in one of the canals in the 1920's. Reports vary, but the dolls are either for the little girl's ghost to play with, or to ward off other evil spirits that roamed the area and which were scaring the little girl. Either way, the hermit would fish out old dolls he found in the canals and place them in the trees all over the island. Want to know my theory? The dolls are amassing an army of themselves to wreak havoc on the human race. Here's the timeline.
In 1920, the little girl drowned. The island got a reputation for being haunted, and was pretty much abandoned by locals, but the canals would gather discarded dolls form the surrounding areas. So the number of dolls kept growing. . .
In 1950, Don Julian Santana moved on to the island and became convinced he should start collecting and siplaying the dolls. So the number of dolls kept growing. . .
In 1990, the area was declared a site of national heritage, and the canals were cleaned up, meaning there were obviously no more dolls for Don Julian Santana to find. And then locals found out about what a wonderful garden he had cultivated, and started to bring in dolls to swap for fruit and vegetables he's grown. So the number of dolls kept growing. . .
In 2001, Don Julian Santana died in the same canal that had claimed the life of the little girl. And then the place began to attract tourists, who would bring their own dolls. So the number of dolls kept growing. . .
I don't know when this army will be large enough and strong enough to mount its attack, but seriously, people, it's time to start worrying!



Island of the Dolls
Island of the Dolls







Comments

Gina said…
Or... Don Julian really didn't like kids!!! I'd have been worried long before now ;S XXX
AJ Blanton said…
I don't know if I think that is really AWESOME or really CREEPY.... Probably a little bit of both.
AJ
Unknown said…
It is pretty creepy! My son (20 yrs) is afraid of dolls from all the scary movies we've watched. My mom collected dolls and he swore it moved and stared at him. lol
OMG...that is wonderfully chilling! I have wanted to do something like this for my Halloween display for a few years! I need to start collecting dolls! EWH....
Creepy Glowbugg said…
I saw this island on an episode of Destination Truth and it was one of the creepiest things I have ever seen! At one point, one of the doll head's eyes opened up without provocation! Old, dirty dolls are quite grotesque. I think my yard haunt needs a doll tree this year.
Thats just creepy!
Andrea C said…
Very creepy x
DonnaMundinger said…
OMG!!!! CREEPTASTIC! Definitely the stuff that nightmares are made of! YIKES! xxD
I wanna go I wanna go I wanna go!!!! Oh if you only knew what I could add to that display. Thank you Barb! It is now my mission to go to Island of the Dolls. Ohhhhhhhhhh how I love them so.
Cgra said…
Wow, I love it!! I think I wanna live there!
ike said…
EeeeeYuuuuW - deffo don't want to go there. I hated dolls as a kid and certainly wouldn't want to see then now.
Well, it seems they got the old guy in the end !!!!!!!!!!
Angela W. said…
I think its cool for what ever reason he started the island with dolls.... anyone that is afraid of dolls has an over active imagination.

Popular posts from this blog

The Evil Returns

Little Hop of Horrors & a Spooky Hallow sneak peek!

HDH STALKERS BLOG CANDY ALERT!!!